Spicy Chana chat
We all have chickpeas in our pantry but many of us don’t know what else to use it for other than for hummus and falafel. Today I wanted to share a recipe that has been past down for a few generations. The best part is you don’t need to go out and buy ingredients you use only for this recipe.
1 12oz can of chickpeas
1 white onion (red onion works too)
1 roma tomato
1 teaspoon of chat masala or garam masala
The juice 1/2 of a lime
A handful of cilantro
The water of a tablespoon of dried tamarind. Water should be half a cup.
- You want to drain the water of canned chickpeas. I like to wash my chickpeas really well to wash away any “chemicals”
- Dice your tomato and onion. Finely dice your jalapeño. You can use as much as you would like depending on your spice level
- Finely chop cilantro
- Take a small chunk of dried tamarind out of the packing and leave it in a bowl of water for 10-15 minutes. (Remember tamarind is sour so only use a little)
- Your tamarind chunk should have soften. With you hands squeeze the tamarind and remove seeds. Throw away the seeds and keep the water
- Transfer your chickpeas, tomatoes, jalapeños and onions in a bowl.
- Add the tamarind water.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime in the bowl.
- Add the cilantro on the to and mix all the ingredients
- Add a teaspoon of your chat masala. This can be spicy be sure you use a little then taste and add more if needed.
- Optional: Leave it in the fridge for 1 hour (in my opinion it tastes better)
You just learned how to create a lunch meal for 3 days! This chat/ salad doesn’t go bad for three days. Let me know in the comments below how yours turned out!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.